Friday, June 07, 2013

Princess meet Pumpkin

It's hard to believe that 8 glorious days have come and gone. This trip has been just what the doctor ordered. For different reasons, my father and I are in a very similar place emotionally. We are both busy taking care of others and get very little time to just chill and do what we want to do. For the last week - it's just been the two of us. We've sometimes gone for hours without speaking. We've talked politics, family and taken long walks and sipped wine. The weather has been glorious. And now; I have to get up at 3:30 am to catch a plane back to Toronto. On the up side - I'll adjust back to Ontario time quickly.

The other thing we did was shop. Dad was very generous in taking me to my favourite fibre haunts. The first stop was to see Jane Stafford on Salt Spring Island. Her weaving retreats are amazing. I've taken her pushing the boundaries of plain weave and would love to take the one on colour theory. I picked up some cones of her organic cotton to make dish towels. These are some of the happiest colours I've ever seen and Jane kindly wrote out the warping order for her dish towels.

In Nanaimo at Ewe Knit, I bought a skein of Shepherd Sock by Lorna's Laces. This is a beautiful tonal yarn in greens called Skyway. I keep thinking it's called "Skyfall" instead so I think I'll rename it. It's somewhat manly so I'm hoping to make a pair of socks for dad (shhhhhh).

Lastly, I stopped in the Loom yarn store in Duncan BC. I snagged 17 balls of the recently, dearly departed Rowan Denim. I've always coveted the Mary cardigan from the original Rowan Denim book. It's apparently a nightmare of a pattern with lots of errors and one size only but it's gorgeous and this shade of blue is stunning.

We'll see if I can keep up the blogging when I get home. The bloggin app helps - just gotta make the time.

 

No comments: